Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Crazy Busy New Year

It's been crazy around here lately. It was wonderful to have my family here. The kids got to go tubing for a little while on Christmas day. But mostly they enjoyed their gifts. I spent a whole lot of time cooking. C & B really helped with cleaning up. Tyler spent a whole lot of time digging us out of the driveway. My brother arrived on Christmas day. It's been a few months and it was good to see him again. Tyler had a great photo session on the 26th - super cute family! And they dressed perfectly - so that you can really focus on their faces and not their clothing. When it comes to big groups, solid color clothing makes all the difference in the world. They are coming over today to order photos. Tonight we are meeting with Chris & Leslie a wonderful couple we photographed last April - they decided to buy the disc and order a few more photos. I can't wait to see them again.

It's also been a tough week. We attended Erik's viewing on Sunday. Casey's sobbing often hushed the already very quiet but very large crowd. We waited 2 hours. Erik's mom grabbed me and hugged me so tight and told me how much she loved the beautiful photographs from their wedding and how the photos are so cherished by them. She told me about the large collage she had framed and matted for them for Christmas - Erik had peaked and said how much Casey would love them. And that Casey couldn't even look at it until the day of the viewing. It was displayed near the casket. Casey sobbed into my shoulder and she kept thanking me for the photos. She even hugged Tyler until her mom pulled Tyler away. Then Mitzi, Casey's mom hugged me and cried into my shoulder and told me how much they treasure the photos and how we created such wonderful memories for their family. I cried back and said how honored I was to be able to have taken those photos. They even used one of the portraits I'd taken of him alone for his obituary. They were all very tired from the long day and all the visitors. It was also a very reverent time. One thing really bothered me about the whole experience. It was very much like their wedding reception receiving line except that Erik was in a casket, no longer holding Casey's hand. I have a stronger distaste for receiving lines at weddings. Yesterday I helped the kids make home made cards to send to Casey and to Sophie. Sophie is Haeley's age and they were in the same class at church until they changed the ward boundaries a few months ago. Sophie is Jesse's little sister and Jesse's funeral and burial is today. Even though I am just a friend, I can feel myself moving through the grief process. Yesterday I was plain mad and spent a lot of time praying and listening to my church music playlist on iTunes.

Anyway even though it's been a tough week, I've been able to pull up the old boot straps and get to work. I've been working on specials for our photography business for the New Year; some for Mother's Day, some for Weddings, and Referrals. I'm working on a special package to give to clients at the end of their session as well and a special Maternity/Newborn plus Proof Book package. I've been able to get a lot done despite the tears and I can't wait to implement a few more ideas I've thought of. Check out our blog for 3 new ways to save on photography.

2 comments:

Laura Davis said...

Laura I am so sorry for your loss, so tragic! My condolences go out to all of Erik's loved ones. Your beautiful photography is such a treasure. I am sure his family is very grateful for your special gift.
Hugs & Happy New Year!
Laura

Trevor and Amy said...

Trevor and I attended Erik's funeral. He worked with Erik at SDL. That was such a tragic loss! I felt soo bad for Casey. I saw the collage of pictures you did for them and they made me cry. You do such an amazing job! Those pictures will truly be treasured forever! I can't imagine the pain that Casey is feeling. I don't know that I could handle that trial of losing my spouse, so I sure hope I don't have to. The words spoken at Erik's funeral really helped put closure on the whole tragedy. Erik had another mission to do and the Lord needed someone who knew the gospel with a pure heart to get it done. Erik and Jesse were men of Charity. Erik was a great example to my husband and although I didn't know Jesse, I'm sure he touched many lives like Erik. I know Casey is thankful for pictures and she will treasure them forever! They were absolutely gorgeous!